What if stress, pressure and overwhelm are not required for EMS? There is a pervasive belief in EMS that stress, pressure, overwhelm and even burnout come with the territory; that due to the nature of the job, stress is a given. And it’s no wonder! Virtually every waking moment we are in survival mode, (also known as “flight or fight” mode) rushing, worrying, stressed, trying to keep up with the demands of job and of life.We keep hoping that someday it will get better when we are more skilled, focused, have more members or solve some problem. In the meantime, days, weeks, months even years … [Read More...]
What the EMS Leadership Academy Can Do
- Leadership is more than a position or a title – It’s a desire to bring out the best in others. Our foundational training programs will enhance participant's capacity to be an effective leader in the world of Emergency Services Organizations and beyond. You will learn how to influence others without manipulation or coercion, bring out the Best in others, and begin to create a vision others want to follow.
- Cause positive sustainable change
- Create an exciting environment that thrives
- Enhance your leadership skills and develop leadership in others
- Have conversations without conflict Advanced strategies for designing a sustainable organization by bringing a vision into reality, holding others accountable and not doing it all yourself will solidify the successful future of your organization. Learn more about our courses.
Do you want engaged, enthusiastic people in your organization? Changing your approach on just a few things can make a huge difference: Consider the possibility that you have something to do with how engaged or disengaged your people are. Ask yourself, when’s the last time you asked your employees or members for their input or feedback on your leadership ability? If you are like most leaders, it’s been awhile. If you want to have an engaged team, giving their best, you have to get interested in developing yourself too. So make it a point to ask your people and get interested in … [Read More...]
Putting together a well rounded board of directors.We receive questions like this from across the country, and sometimes across the world, with very similar challenges - so don’t feel that you’re alone. Creating engagement with many stakeholders can feel like an impossible task. You not only have a board, but you have clients (or patients), staff and/or volunteers, the general public, funders, and other non-profit organizations or departments you work with. But when you realize that creating engagement with your board can lead to engagement with all of those other stakeholders, that’s when the … [Read More...]
"That's never going to work", "We've tried that before", "The problem is..." Does this sound familiar? Do your good ideas get shot down before you or others have a chance to finish a sentence? It only takes a few times before people start feeling unappreciated and develop an attitude of "Why bother?". Research has shown people and organizations have a natural tendency towards negative bias, the idea that a $20 loss will have a bigger effect than a $20 gain. Negative feedback (or perceived negative comments) typically stimulates the body's sympathetic nervous system, the Fight or … [Read More...]
"I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell When's the last time you felt truly alive or were in the present moment experiencing life vs. hurrying, frantically trying to get it all done? Most professionals today struggle to stay ahead of the game and are sacrificing the things that are most important to them in order to stay afloat. Especially in emergency services, we're used to operating in emergency mode. The good news is: our lives don't have to operate in the same emergency mode. 99% … [Read More...]