You can read thousands of books about what a leader is supposed to be or how they should act. We are not advocates of giving you a recipe of “how-to” or “self-improvement” steps. Giving you more information on Leadership is not what’s needed. While information has its place it will not lead to lasting change; leadership has no perfect recipe.
Both good & bad news:
“Leadership has no perfect recipe”
You can create who you are as a leader, free of past constraints and begin taking new actions that change your results. First you must ask yourself, “What are the qualities you want the most in your people, your organization and your future?”
Be the leader that others want to follow.
Do you wonder why your people are not stepping up and jumping to help out? Take a moment and write down what your current state of leadership looks like by answering the following questions:
- Are you frustrated or overwhelmed at times?
- Do you ever feel like you’re on the edge?
- Are you alone, doing everything yourself?
- How do you react when things don’t go as planned?
- Have you lost your temper or found yourself yelling at times?
- Do you take responsibility for what happens or do you look for who’s to blame?
- When others have different opinions than yours are you open to changing your mind?
Once you’ve identified how you’re currently being and reacting to situations, its time to create in your mind or on paper what an image of your future leadership could look like if anything were possible. Ask yourself, “What do you REALLY want?” (Leave out words like “better” or “less of” attributes, as these are all past based or what you don’t want.)
Base your decisions, your actions and your future on that created future. Don’t give up. You will begin to look for these attributes in others and attract them.
“You must be the change you wish to see in the world” -Gandhi
Warning: Be careful!
“Remember: Your world is a reflection of who you are.”
If you’re not careful, this could have the opposite effect. It is important that you be mindful of who you are being. For example, if you doubt yourself, if you try to avoid your worst fears or talk about what you don’t want, that’s what will show up in the world around you. Do you talk behind others backs? Do you gossip? Do you diminish others or criticize? Whatever your actions are as a leader it will be reflected in those you lead. You have been warned. If you want positive change in your organization, it begins with you. So, go forth & create the future you thought was never possible.
If you get stuck, send us an email or reach out by phone. Leave a comment below and let us know if something in this article resonated with you.
- What’s the best way to show I value our people? How do I show how important they are to me? - February 20, 2021
- How do I get people to take initiative and ownership - February 13, 2021
- US Report on Characteristics & Challenges of Rural Ambulance Agencies - February 7, 2021